Aquatics Reopening Plan
Please understand that we recognize the risk for COVID-19 transmission is present anywhere people gather. We also recognize that physical exercise is essential to maintaining a healthy mind and body. We are providing space for our members to enhance their quality of life and welcome you back into the water. The guidelines below are to ensure that all are as safe as possible moving forward. Please have patience as we work through our new-normal.
Let’s get our heels wet in the Carolina blue waters!
We’re open for lap swimming only. Pre-registration required. Read our guidelines below and sign up for a lane here.
Join our Swim Across Carolina Challenge. Learn about how you can track workouts on swim.com, view the leader board, check out personalized swim workouts, and receive free prizes for each milestone you reach here.
- For operating hours, please visit our facility hours page here.
- You are required to sign up for lanes in advance. No walk-in entry or guests will be allowed.
- Time slots are 45-minutes. Registration will open 48 hours ahead of each time slot.
- Cancelling your lane sign up if necessary (please do NOT sign up if you do not intend on coming):
- Once you log into stayactive.unc.edu using your ONYEN credentials
- Select your ID in the top right corner and select “profile.”
- On the left column, select “programs”
- Under “My Program Registrations,” you should see a row for Kessing Pool Lane Sign Up
- Click the three dots and select “cancel registration”
- The facility will be cleared for 15 minutes for cleaning and preparation for the next shift of swimmers.
- Swimmers will present their name and OneCard to the guard at the desk and swipe themselves in upon entry.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance.
- Lane assignments will be made by lifeguard staff as swimmers arrive, farthest to nearest.
- No shared equipment will be available (kickboards, pull buoys, hand paddles, noodles).
- We will not have chairs or tables on deck for use.
- The deck will be marked for physical distancing from other patrons and staff.
- We encourage swimmers to come ready to swim and leave in their swimming attire.
- Factor any bathroom time into your reserved time.
- Drinking fountains will not be available.
- We will not be saving lost and found items.
- In the event of any emergency or severe weather, the pool and deck will be cleared immediately.
- We encourage you to check out the UNC Aquatics page for updates.
- Bowman Gray Memorial Pool
- Bowman Gray Memorial Pool will be open until November 24, 2020.
- The entrance will be through the front glass doors and the exit will be through the doors at the deep end of the pool leading outside toward Fetzer Hall.
- Locker rooms will be locked and unavailable.
- The single-use bathroom and shower will be available at the deep end of the pool but should be reserved for urgent needs only.
- Kessing Outdoor Pool is closed for the season effective starting on Thursday, September 17, 2020.
For more information, you can review our UNC Campus Recreation Aquatics Reopening Plan Fall 2020. If you have additional questions or concerns, contact our Aquatics Director, Catherine Ayers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you ready to take the dive?
UNC’s Aquatics program is home to both an indoor and an outdoor pool, with lanes ranging from 25 yards to 50 meters and depths ranging from 3 to 10 feet. We are proud to offer group, private, and semi-private swim lessons for participants of all ages and experience levels. We also offer American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Instructor, and Water Safety Instructor courses. All Aquatics Programs are open to UNC students, faculty, staff, and their families, as well as surrounding communities.
If you are a member of the UNC community, you can use your ONYEN to login and register. If you do not have an ONYEN, please email email@example.com with the full name and birth date of the participant. A login and password will be created and sent to you for accessing our registration software.