Let’s get our heels wet in the Carolina blue waters! We’re open for lap swimming. Read our guidelines below and sign up for a lane.
UNC’s Aquatics program is home to both an indoor and an outdoor pool, with lanes ranging from 25 yards to 50 meters and depths ranging from 3 to 10 feet. Throughout the semester, we host swim lessons, swim stroke clinics, lifeguarding and other safety courses.
- Join our Swim Across Carolina Challenge. Learn about how you can track workouts on swim.com, view the leader board, check out personalized swim workouts, and receive free prizes for each milestone you reach.
- Check out all of our Aquatics Programs and Classes below.
Aquatic Facilities Guidelines
Kessing Outdoor Pool
- For facility operating hours, please visit our hours page.
- Your OneCard is required to check in at the desk to verify membership. A lifeguard will point you to your assigned lane.
- Kessing Pool will maintain a maximum capacity of 50 patrons within the facility, both on deck and in the pool combined
- Staff and patrons should maintain physical distancing and single flow use of the facility
- Check-in staff will have a plexiglass barrier at the check in desk. If this becomes unavailable for any reason, staff will be required to wear a cloth face mask
- Markings to provide proper distancing will be provided for patrons waiting to enter the facility
- Staff and patrons will not be required to wear a face mask on deck entering or exiting the space outdoors while physical distancing is maintained
- Equipment will be cleaned at the beginning of each day, once/day with an EPA-approved disinfectant
- Two single use restrooms are available. We do not allow deck changing.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the check in desk for both patrons and staff, soap dispensers in the bathrooms on deck maintained by housekeeping
- Pre-registration is required for lap swimming, but is not required for recreational swim
- Member lap swim capacity is 2 swimmers/lane
- Our timeslots will increase to 55 minutes. We request that swimmers clear the pool as quickly as possible at the end of their time slot to give the next group time to get in on time.
- We would like to welcome our University members and their families into the facility for recreational swim again:
- Tables will be spaced 6’ apart and will have signage requesting single-household use only
- Lounge chairs will be distanced to allow members to relax on deck, outside, while maintaining a safe distance
- Please cancel your lane sign up if you cannot attend. You can follow these steps:
- Once you log into stayactive.unc.edu using your ONYEN credentials.
- Select your ID in the top right corner and select “profile.”
- On the left column, select “programs.”
- Under “My Program Registrations,” you should see a row for Pool Lane Sign Up.
- Click the three dots and select “cancel registration.”
- In the event of any emergency or severe weather, the pool and deck will be cleared immediately.
- We encourage you to check out the UNC Aquatics Facebook page for updates.
If you have additional questions or concerns, you can contact our Aquatics Director, Catherine Ayers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you ready to take the dive?
- We are proud to offer group, private, and semi-private swim lessons for participants of all ages and experience levels. We also offer American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Instructor, and Water Safety Instructor courses. All Aquatics Programs are open to UNC students, faculty, staff, and their families, as well as surrounding communities. Our programs are limited at this time due to the pandemic and will become available in phases throughout the Spring semester. Please continue to check back for availability coming soon!
- If you are a member of the UNC community, you can use your ONYEN to login and register. If you do not have an ONYEN, please email email@example.com with the full name and birth date of the participant. A login and password will be created and sent to you for accessing our registration software.
- Swim Across Carolina
- Aquatics Programs and Classes
- Aquatic Facilities
- General Policies and Rules