Let’s get our heels wet in the Carolina blue waters! We’re open for lap swimming. Read our guidelines below and sign up for a lane.
UNC’s Aquatics program is home to both an indoor and an outdoor pool, with lanes ranging from 25 yards to 50 meters and depths ranging from 3 to 10 feet. Throughout the semester, we host swim lessons, swim stroke clinics, lifeguarding and other safety courses.
- Join our Swim Across Carolina Challenge. Learn about how you can track workouts on swim.com, view the leader board, check out personalized swim workouts, and receive free prizes for each milestone you reach.
- Check out all of our Aquatics Programs and Classes below.
For facility operating hours, please visit our hours page.
Aquatic Facilities Guidelines
- You are required to sign up for lane space in advance. No walk-in entry or guests will be allowed.
- Time slots are 45-minutes. Registration will open 48 hours ahead of each time slot.
- The facility will be cleared for 15 minutes each hour for cleaning and preparation for the next shift of swimmers.
- Masks are required at all times on deck, entering and exiting the facility, and should be removed only while swimming.
- Swimmers will present their name and OneCard to the guard at the desk and swipe themselves in upon entry for check in.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance to the building and the pool deck.
- Swimmers will be able to register for specific lanes and are asked to be mindful of physical distancing and single flow signage entering and exiting the pool.
- No shared equipment will be available (kickboards, pull buoys, hand paddles, noodles).
- We encourage swimmers to come ready to swim and leave in their swimming attire.
- Bowman Gray Memorial Pool
- Bowman Gray Memorial Pool will open on January 19, 2021.
- The entrance will be through the front glass doors and the exit will be through the doors at the deep end of the pool leading outside toward Fetzer Hall.
- Locker room bathrooms will be available as single use only option upon request at the desk. At no time should our swimmers enter the locker room area. Locker use is not permitted at this time.
- The single-use bathroom and shower will be available at the deep end of the pool as well.
- Please cancel your lane sign up if you cannot attend. You can follow these steps:
- Once you log into stayactive.unc.edu using your ONYEN credentials.
- Select your ID in the top right corner and select “profile.”
- On the left column, select “programs.”
- Under “My Program Registrations,” you should see a row for Pool Lane Sign Up.
- Click the three dots and select “cancel registration.”
- In the event of any emergency or severe weather, the pool and deck will be cleared immediately.
- We encourage you to check out the UNC Aquatics Facebook page for updates.
If you have additional questions or concerns, you can contact our Aquatics Director, Catherine Ayers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you ready to take the dive?
We are proud to offer group, private, and semi-private swim lessons for participants of all ages and experience levels. We also offer American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Instructor, and Water Safety Instructor courses. All Aquatics Programs are open to UNC students, faculty, staff, and their families, as well as surrounding communities. Our programs are limited at this time due to the pandemic and will become available in phases throughout the Spring semester. Please continue to check back for availability coming soon!
If you are a member of the UNC community, you can use your ONYEN to login and register. If you do not have an ONYEN, please email email@example.com with the full name and birth date of the participant. A login and password will be created and sent to you for accessing our registration software.