Housing two climbing walls, Campus Rec offers around 5,000 square feet of climbing as well as a bouldering wall and cave. With highly trained climbing staff, the walls are safe and easy to access, even for those who have never climbed before. You can sign up for memberships, classes and other services on Stay Active.
Rams Head Climbing Wall or Fetzer Climbing Wall are open for walk-in use during operating hours. An active climbing membership is required. Check out our membership options, classes and more below.
If you’re interested in trying out climbing before you make a commitment, check out our events page for upcoming events like Newbie Night and Lunch Time Climb.
- Autobelay/Bouldering Membership – After an orientation to our facilities, this allows you to use our autobelays (3 at Rams, 1 at Fetzer) and boulder (most bouldering is at Fetzer). For your first entry you will be able to borrow free rental gear. ($5)
- Belay Test Challenge Membership – This membership is for experienced climbers who already know how to belay. For the test, you will have to be able to put on the harness correctly, check someone else’s harness, tie a figure-8 knot, check someone else’s knot, set up the belay device, take in rope without your hand leaving the rope, catch an unannounced fall, along with other skills. The test is free with Intro to Climbing class. ($10)
Workshops & Classes
- Intro to Climbing Class – This class will provide a thorough orientation to the facilities and some of the climbing programs offered at UNC. You will learn all the basic safety skills needed to pass the Belay Test. Students may take the Belay Test on their following visit to the climbing wall. ($20)
- Climbing Technique – Do you need a boost to get to the next level climbing? If so, this is your class. The Climbing Technique Class gives newer climbers the framework to improve their skill and better understand climbing movement.
- Sport Climbing / Lead Climbing – Take your climbing to the next level. Lead climbing is the next step after top roping and the gateway to climbing outdoors. Climbers must rely on their skills to climb as the rope is no longer above. Participants must have a current UNC Belay Card and be comfortable climbing 5.9-rated routes.
- Cleaning & Rappelling – This class covers two major points that can lead to danger while climbing outdoors, cleaning/lowering and rappelling. For unprepared climbers, rappelling can be the most dangerous activity in climbing. Cleaning/lowering can cause confusion and lead to danger. The clinic will go over safe methods for these issues.
- Little Ramses Mega Ultimate Climbing Club – Kids can learn how to climb in this brand new club designed with them in mind. Tap into the joy and skills of climbing for kids ages 8-15 of the Carolina Community. We will meet once a month to create fun atmosphere that focuses on safety and learning climbing skills.
- Private / Semi-Private Lessons – Private climbing lessons are typically for those looking to learn to improve their technique or learn a new skill. Lessons will be scheduled for 1-hour for up to two students. If you are interested in a lesson, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with what you are interested in learning, the times you are available, and preferred instructor if you have one. After an appropriate instructor and time are found, you will be sent link for payment and your scheduled lesson.
In addition to indoor climbing, the climbing program at UNC is also dedicated to outdoor rock climbing and offers many great opportunities to get outside and learn the fundamentals. We typically offer several rock climbing trips and clinics at the wall. Visit the expeditions page for upcoming outdoor climbing trips!