Housing two climbing walls, Campus Rec offers around 5,000 square feet of climbing as well as a bouldering wall and cave. With highly trained climbing staff, the walls are safe and easy to access, even for those who have never climbed before.
Check out our Intro to Climbing Classes Wednesdays 8 PM – 10 PM!
Rams Head Climbing Wall or Fetzer Climbing Wall are open for walk-in use during operating hours. An active climbing membership is required. Check out our membership options, classes and more below.
If you’re interested in trying out climbing before you make a commitment, check out our events page for special events like Rec After Dark, when we offer free climbing instruction.
- Autobelay/Bouldering Membership – After an orientation to our facilities, this allows you to use our autobelays (3 at Rams, 1 at Fetzer) and boulder (most bouldering is at Fetzer). For your first entry you will be able to borrow free rental gear. ($5)
- Belay Test Challenge Membership – This membership is for experienced climbers who already know how to belay. For the test, you will have to be able to put on the harness correctly, check someone else’s harness, tie a figure-8 knot, check someone else’s knot, set up the belay device, take in rope without your hand leaving the rope, catch an unannounced fall, along with other skills. The test is free with Intro to Climbing class. ($10)
You can rent equipment at the wall on a weekly, semesterly, or yearly basis.
Workshops & Classes
- Intro to Climbing Class – This class will provide a thorough orientation to the facilities and some of the climbing programs offered at UNC. You will learn all the basic safety skills needed to pass the Belay Test. Students may take the Belay Test on their following visit to the climbing wall. Cost of this class covers the Belay Test Challenge Membership. ($20)
- Little Ramses Mega Ultimate Climbing Club – Kids can learn how to climb in this brand new club designed with them in mind. Tap into the joy and skills of climbing for kids ages 8-15 of the Carolina Community. We will meet once a month to create fun atmosphere that focuses on safety and learning climbing skills. ($175)
- Other Climbing Workshops – We offer a variety of climbing workshops (Climbing Skills, Sport/Lead Climbing, Cleaning & Rappelling) throughout the semester. Offerings vary. Check Stay Active for details!
- Private / Semi-Private Lessons – Private climbing lessons are typically for those looking to learn to improve their technique or learn a new skill. Lessons will be scheduled for 1-hour for up to two students. If you are interested in a lesson, send an email to email@example.com with what you are interested in learning, the times you are available, and preferred instructor if you have one. After an appropriate instructor and time are found, you will be sent link for payment and your scheduled lesson.
February 19, we will offer adaptive climbing options for folks of varied needs. Specialized adaptive equipment creates new opportunities for anyone can come in and challenge themselves. For registration click here. If you want to learn more, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to indoor climbing, the climbing program at UNC is also dedicated to outdoor rock climbing and offers many great opportunities to get outside and learn the fundamentals. We typically offer several rock climbing trips and clinics at the wall. Visit the expeditions page for upcoming outdoor climbing trips!