In accordance with the University’s response to COVID-19, we will be closing all recreation facilities until further notice. Additionally, to minimize the health and safety risks to UNC students, faculty, staff and the entire Chapel Hill community, all UNC Campus Recreation programs, activities, and events are canceled until further notice. This includes all outside events hosted in Campus Recreation facilities.
We encourage the Tar Heel community to Stay Active. Campus Recreation outdoor facilities are available for informal recreation. However, we hope students employ social distancing while on the fields like they would any other open area on campus. We encourage you to exercise on your own or with a partner at least six feet way.
We will continue to work closely with the University to determine how Campus Recreation will be operational moving forward. We will share updates regarding future openings and resources in the following weeks as they are available.
- Live Group Fitness Classes on our Facebook page. Click HERE to see the schedule.
- Heel Fit at Home Workouts on our YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages
- ACSM Exercise is Medicine: Staying Active During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Les Mills On Demand has graciously provided the UNC Chapel Hill community with 95 unique workouts. All will be free and available through the COVID-19 situation:
- List of some at home equipment by our Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness
- Down Dog App: Free access to yoga workouts at all levels
- Feel Better Yoga (a locally owned yoga studio): Free online classes available
As with any exercise program, participation in the exercises shown may result in injury. Participants are encouraged to stop if they experience pain or injury and should seek appropriate medical advice or care as needed. Participants should not begin any exercise program without consulting a physician and should always follow the advice of their physician before participating.
Wellness + Nutrition
- Headspace App: Free access to guided meditations
- Resources from UNC Student Wellness
- Resources from UNC Sports Nutrition
Work + Self-Care
- Your Work-From-Home Survival Guide for Self-Care by Everyday Health
- How to Stay Active When Working From Home by Thrive
- Stuck Inside Mental Health Tips from SELF
- Self Care During Quarantine by New York Times
- DIY Face Masks from W Magazine
Outdoors + More
- List of some great places to get outside by our Expeditions Coordinator
- Watch Epic Films for the Great Outdoors
- Explore National Parks with Google
- Virtual Museum Tours with Google
- Learn something new with Lynda
Our COVID-19 Action Plan
We also want to take the time to address the cleanliness and maintenance of our facilities. Due to the nature and impact of our work, risk management is at the forefront of our practice. One of the pillars of our risk management practices is cleaning the spaces where recreation activities occur. Our goal is to create a safe and clean environment where you engage in recreation without concern for your personal wellbeing. Each day, we clean and sanitize the cardio, strength, and sports equipment available in our facilities. Additionally, our current housekeeping protocol includes use of hospital grade disinfectants on all touch points throughout these spaces. We are working diligently to keep our facilities clean amidst heightened concerns related to COVID-19.
- Reduced or closed facilities
- Programs, events and activities canceled
- Online workouts and ways to stay active
- Virtual fitness classes and challenges
- Provide information and updates as soon as possible
Program Info and Refunds
We understand that the recent change in University operations related to COVID-19 have eliminated your access to the recreation facilities on campus for the foreseeable future. Effective March 16, we stopped all payroll deduction payments for memberships. The stop will remain intact until we reopen our facilities on campus.
If you provided a full, one-time payment for your membership, then you are eligible for a refund for the period during which you cannot access our facilities. Refunds will be processed once facilities reopen or August if facilities remain closed through July.
If you have questions or concerns about your registration for any of our programs, trips, or services, please reach out to the specific program director for your inquiry.
- Aquatics – Catherine Ayers – email@example.com
- Challenge Course/Outdoor Education Center – David Rogers – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Climbing – Russell Hobart – email@example.com
- Expeditions – Shane Ambro – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fitness – Lindsay Brookey – email@example.com
- Intramural Sports/Club Sports – Tori Hooker – firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Ways To Stay Informed
Please check back for updates or follow our social media pages on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. For more information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please go to unc.edu/coronavirus/. For information about COVID-19 from the CDC, please visit cdc.gov/coronavirus/.