UNC Modernextension Dance Company was founded in 1988 by Marian Turner Hopkins as an outlet for students interested in performing modern dance at UNC Chapel Hill. In addition to rehearsals, the company gathers every Sunday for a modern technique class taught by various professional guest teachers brought in by MX officers. The company performs at various events around campus and has an annual improvisation-based performance in the fall and a formal concert in the spring. Modernextension also travels to the American College Dance Association festival each year to perform and participate in classes with other university students from around the country. Try-outs are held at the beginning of September, and some dance experience is advisable but not required.
- Fundraising/dues: $70 for entire year. Each member must participate in one fundraising event each semester.
- How to join organization: Tryouts are tentatively September 4th at 5:30
- Practice Days & Times:
- Practice Location: Woollen Dance Room
- Competitive Season: Fall/Spring
- National Governing Body: N/A
- Successfully recruited new members to attend ACDA (American Collegiate Dance Association)
- Efficiently ran auditions and recruited many new members
- Continued the tradition of an extremely successful annual fall and spring performance
- We also improved officer communication, were able to bring 7 guest teachers for our Sunday technique classes, and created even more of a family feeling among the company this year