Thank you for your interest in joining the Fitness team with Campus Recreation!
Group Fitness Instructors
If you are nationally certified AND have experience as a Group Fitness Instructor:
- Download the application below and submit to Sarah Richardson.
- Carolina Fitness Application 2018
- You need a general group fitness certification to teach most classes (AFAA, ACE, NASM, etc) or specialty certification to teach Yoga, Pilates, Indoor Cycle or Zumba.
- Once you have submitted an application, an interview and audition will be scheduled.
- To be considered for the Summer 2018 Group Fitness schedule, please submit your application between 3/1/18 – 4/1/18
If you are not certified and/or do not have experience as a Group Fitness Instructor:
Consider enrolling in the Spring 2018, PHYA 402: Leading Group Fitness Activities
This one credit hour semester long course prepares interested students to teach safe, effective and motivating classes. All aspects of leading group fitness activities will be explored and applied, including components of an aerobic exercise class, modifications for individual needs and special populations, health screening, fitness testing. Students will be paired with a current instructor and team teach at least once a week for the majority of the semester. Once students complete the class, they will be eligible to interview and audition for a position within the fitness program. Certification cost and ACE textbook are NOT included in this course. To explore the ACE curriculum, click HERE.
- Course start date: 1/10/18
- When: Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:25 – 2:15 PM
- Where: Woolen Gym 301
- Registration: Opens through ConnectCarolina on 11/06/17
- To enroll: Add PHYA 402 to Spring academic schedule in ConnectCarolina
If you are nationally certified AND have experience as a Personal Trainer:
- Download the application below and submit to Kendall Hardin.
- Carolina Fitness Application 2017
- You must be nationally certified and have experience in order to become a personal trainer with UNC Campus Recreation. You need a personal trainer certification through NSCA, CSCS, ACE, NASM or other reputable sources.
- Once you have submitted an application, an interview and practical audition will be scheduled.
If you are not certified and/or do not have experience as Personal Trainer:
Considering enrolling in the Spring 2018, NASM Personal Trainer Prep Course
This is a semester long program that prepares interested students with the knowledge and understanding necessary to prepare for the National Academy of Sport Medicine (NASM) Personal Trainer Certification exam and become effective personal trainers. The course focuses on integrated program design and the Optimum Performance Training (OPT) model as a comprehensive system for designing individualized programs based on each client’s unique health, fitness and performance goals. The information covered by this course will help students learn how to facilitate rapport, adherence, self-efficacy and behavior change in clients, as well as design programs that help clients to improve posture, movement, flexibility, balance, core function, cardiorespiratory fitness and muscular endurance and strength. Once students complete the class, they will be eligible to interview and audition for a position within the fitness program. Certification and books ARE included in this course. To explore the NASM curriculum, click HERE.
- Course start date: 1/17/2018
- When: Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Where: TBD
- Cost: $500 (NO refunds, Text & Certification Exam ARE INCLUDED)
- Registration: 1/9/18 – 1/26/18
- To register: Visit the Campus Rec Main Office (SRC 101) to pay by cash or One Card. Click here to register online and pay by credit card.
- Click HERE to find out more information about this course