UNC-Chapel Hill Kerr Lake Recreation Association operates a recreational area on a 230-acre peninsula on Kerr Lake, one of North Carolina’s most popular locations for water sports and outdoor relaxation. The shore and coves are well-suited for swimming and fishing, and the lake is ideal for water-skiing, canoeing, sailing, or simply a leisurely weekend outdoors. The University area is an easy 90-minute drive from Chapel Hill. Permits are available in 209 Fetzer Hall. Find permit information and applications here.
From Chapel Hill —
- Take Interstate 85 North to Exit 214 ( Hwy 39/Henderson).
- Turn left and follow Hwy 39 North for 13.5 miles. (You will pass through Townsville.)
- Turn right onto Rock Spring Church Road at the fork (There is a Baptist Church and a sign to Henderson Point at the fork).
- Go 2.1 miles and turn right onto Woodsworth Road (this is also County Road 1358; The closed Jefferson’s Grocery is on the corner).
- The UNC-CH Recreation Area is about 1-mile down Woodsworth Road/County Road 1358.
- Enter areas A, B and C on the right. Areas D and E (boat ramp) are on the left.